James L. Essenson, a native of New York City, is a Summa Cum Laude graduate of New York University, Washington Square College of Arts and Sciences, a member of Phi Beta Kappa and a graduate of the State University of New York at Buffalo, School of Law, receiving his Juris Doctor degree in 1977. He is a member of the Florida Bar, the Sarasota County Bar Association, the New York State Bar Association, and the Erie County Bar Association. Mr. Essenson is also admitted to practice in New York, the Federal District Courts for the Western District of New York and the Middle District of Florida, and the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit.
I. Professional Licenses, Associations and Affiliations:
- Licensed to practice under the laws of the State of New York since 1978.
- Member of the New York State Bar Association since 1978.
- Member of the Erie County Bar Association.
- Admitted to Federal Practice in the Western District of New York since 1979.
- Member of the Florida Bar since 1983.
- Admitted to Federal Practice in the Middle District of Florida since 1988.
- Certified by the Supreme Court of Florida as a Circuit Civil Court Mediator since 1995.
- Licensed Real Estate Broker in Florida.
- Agent for title insurance underwriters, Attorneys’ Title Fund Services, LLC.
- Member of the Sarasota County Bar Association.
- “AV” rated by Martindale Hubbell.
II. Professional Experience
1984 – present
General practice of law at 2071 Main Street, Sarasota, Florida. Emphasis in general business and commercial/corporate transactions, collections, real estate, commercial and construction litigation, wills, estates, guardianships, personal injury, estate and trust litigation, divorce, custody and family law. Mediation and arbitration services are also available.
1983 – 1984
Associate attorney, Boyleston & Clark, Sarasota, Florida. Emphasis in commercial and general business work, commercial litigation, construction litigation and general practice.
1979 – 1983
Private practice of law, Buffalo, New York. Emphasis in general business and corporate work, commercial litigation, personal injury and Workman’s Compensation litigation.
1979 – 1980
Associate attorney, Legal Aid Bureau of Buffalo, Inc. Specialized in habeas corpus, administrative appeals and appellate practice for indigent criminal defendants.
1978 – 1979
Associate attorney, Hurwitz & Fine, PC, Buffalo, New York. Emphasis in probate, general business and commercial transactions, commercial litigation, and personal injury defense.
State University of New York at Buffalo, School of Law, Juris Doctor Degree, 1977
Elected to Beta Chapter, Phi Beta Kappa, 1974
Graduate of New York University, Washington Square College of Arts and Sciences, Bachelor of Arts Degree, Summa Cum Laude, 1974
Graduate of Friends’ Seminary, 16th St. and Rutherford Place, New York, New York, 1969